Friday, June 21, 2013

Mom's Delectable Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Vegan Pancake Recipe

When I was little I loved pancakes. What kid doesn't? However, over the years I developed an aversion to this once favoured breakfast treat. Little did I know that this aversion, was actually the result of a gluten intolerance. When I (and most of my siblings/family members) were diagnosed with terrible wheat allergies, my mother made it her mission to make allergen friendly pancakes. After quite a few years she has come up with an absolutely delectable, airy, scrumptious pancake! I just had to share it with you! The great thing about these? Even people who are terrible at making pancakes will have very little difficulty mastering these!



Mom's Delectable Gluten-Free, Soy-Free Pancake Recipe!

Ingredients:

-About 1/2 cup brown (or white) rice flour
-About 1/2 cup sorghum flour (or quinoa or even garbanzo) if using garbanzo, use a little less and add a few more tablespoons of brown rice flour unless you like the flavor of garbanzo.
-About 1/2 cup potato starch (not quite)
-2 flax eggs (2 generous tablespoons flax meal mixed with 6 tablespoons warm water)
-2 fairly generous tablespoons baking powder
-1 tablespoon sugar
-1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-1 to 2 cups non-dairy milk (I used almond) If it's too thin, don't worry...you can just add equal parts of more gf mix...it's very forgiving.
-1 level teaspoon salt
-2 teaspoons vanilla
-About 1/2 cup oil ( I use corn oil) plus more for coating griddle
-Your choice of mix ins...fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, etc. ( I mixed in 1/2 cup blueberries!)

1.  Mix your flax eggs together first so they can get nice and gelatinous.

2. Next in a big bowl, combine all the dry ingredients(except baking soda) and stir with a whisk til all are combined nicely.

3. Then, mix all the wet ingredients (except the lemon juice) along with the flax eggs and milk into another bowl. Then add to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly
(You may want to add more or less milk depending on how thick or thin you like your batter)

4. Next put a small amount of baking soda on top of your batter and the lemon juice on top of that.  Let it bubble and mix it in. If you are adding chocolate chips or blueberries mix them in now.

5. Heat a griddle or cast iron skillet on medium high heat. With a basting brush grease cooking surface (you may want to re-grease as you go along, once after every couple of pancakes). Test a little batter to see if it is hot enough, it should harden around the edges rather swiftly. Add batter (about a scant 1/4 cup at a time to the griddle) flip when edges look solid and middle is beginning to solidify but still looks mushy, about 30-60 sec. Cook for another 30-60 seconds on the other side. I always test this first pancake to see if I cooked it long enough/too long. The inside should not taste like uncooked batter! Voila! I hope you enjoy, I know I did!

Note: I always have a clean tea towel on top of a plate ready on the side to put my pancakes after each one is done. Keeps them nice and toasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment