Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Vegan Gluten Free Spring Roll Wrappers!?? Halelujah!!!

I beg your pardon as I do the happy dance! (Charlie Brown theme song music) I know, I may seem a bit ridiculous,but hear me out! For so long I have oohed and aaaahed at various spring roll recipes in magazines and on blogs. Most claimed there were gluten free versions of these fun little wrappers, but my seemingly endless natural food store search proved fruitless. That is, until now!! Low and behold on the shelf at Sprouts what did I find next to the Nori? Actual, GLUTEN FREE SPRING ROLL WRAPPERS! My quest was finally at a glorious end! Now all I had to do was come up with delicious things to put in them! But that was the fun part :) I'm sure I will have many more recipes to come in the future, but here is the very simple spring roll recipe that I came up with! These little wraps are perfect for highlighting all the wonderful, fresh, spring produce out there right now! Heaven! I'm in heaven! Now to track down the perfect sauce to compliment these bad boys.....


Simple Spring Rolls: 

Ingredients:
1 Pckg Greenland brand, rice paper wrappers
1 cup dry Jasmine rice (2 cups cooked) 
Pinch salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder 
1 small-med zucchini chopped into matchsticks
1 carrot, chopped into matchsticks
1 cup Oyster or Shitake mushrooms (I got mine from F&F farms at Santa Clarita farmers market!)
1 cup arugula
1 cup assorted fresh sprouts (I used radish and mung bean)

Optional: Gluten-free soy sauce for dipping (or other allergen free dipping sauce! Trust me, these are made for dipping! I just used spicy mustard for mine!)

 1.Cook the rice in 2 cups boiling water with the salt until nice and fluffy, about 15-20 minutes. While the rice is cooking, prep all your veggies. Stir garlic powder and any other Asian-cooking inspired spices you desire into rice, set aside to cool. 

2. Fill a round container the same circumference as your wrapper with warm water (I used a pie dish). Make sure all your ingredients are ready to go, assembly line style! One wrapper at a time, dip in hot water for 5-10 seconds until it begins to soften, transfer to a plate. (You must do this one at a time, if you stack the wrappers they get sticky and inseparable ) 

3. Add 1/4 cup cooked rice to center of wrapper. Top with 1/12th each of the veggie toppings (as you would with tacos, etc). Fold the top and bottom over fillings. Fold one side over and roll into a nice little roll shape. Repeat until you're out of rice/toppings! Dip in sauce and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment