Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A New Kind of Vegan Lasagna! No Soy Required!

So as I mentioned in a previous post, soy no longer agrees with me. As many people with multiple food allergies can probably attest to, it is very depressing to find out you have to eliminate yet another delicious food item from your diet (Avocados, how I miss you!) So, like somebody experiencing any type of loss I went through all the stages of grief. Denial-"my stomach hurts because I'm anxious, not because I had a soy latte" Anger-"It's not fair! All the fake meats are made of soy or wheat!!! My life sucks!" Bargaining-"maybe if I only have it every once in awhile i'll be ok...."  Depression- " I just figured out what my favorite vegan latte is at Starbucks....now I have to find another one...waaaah!" And finally, acceptance-"Aha! If I buy myself an espresso machine I can steam my own milk and have almond milk lattes at home! How convenient that my boyfriend is a barrista and can make fancy drinks for me!" Ok, that last part was wishful thinking. I do have a cheap espresso machine I got at target, but it sits there gathering dust. Though Bryan does manage a Starbucks he very rarely makes coffee for me! He's usually sick of making drinks for people by the time he gets home.

There are a few upsides to having multiple food allergies. Ok...very few. I can't eat any old cupcake, so when I crave one I have to bake it and I usually make a healthier choice by the time I realize how long the cupcakes will take. So I guess that's a health bonus? One of the benefits though, is that you learn to get creative in the kitchen! (or you starve, but most of us opt to learn to cook rather than live off of microwave meals and tater tots). I had just mastered the tofu lasagna when I realized I had developed an allergy to soy, and once again I was forced to get creative! It took a few tries but I think I finally licked it. This Soy-free lasagna is now a regular in our monthly rotation of menus (ok, you got me, weekly rotation) and I can't believe I haven't shared it before. I posted a slightly different version of the "cheese" I use here in another post (Bryan's Grilled Cheese) but this is what we use the cheese for most of the time (the grilled cheeses the next day are just a bonus) If you are allergic to walnuts as my sister is, try it with the cheese used in my "Green Pizza" recipe! Different flavor but still yummy! You can make this lasagna as one large dish, but I find it more fun to do in individual ramekins! (But I think everything is better when served in fun dishware so......yeah) I also tend to change the ingredients in the lasagna based on what's left in the fridge, feel free to experiment! Without further ado, I give you a gluten free, soy free, vegan lasagna!

A New Kind of Lasagna! No Soy Required!


Ingredients: 

For the Cheese: 
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup pinenuts
Juice of 2 lemons
1 garlic clove, peeled

For the lasagna: 
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (I used Oyster but Portabello would be nice too)
1/2-1 cup chopped kale
1/2 a small onion, chopped
1/2 small japanese eggplant (these are less bitter than European varieties and don't really require salting)
1 garlic clove minced
pepper and oregano to taste

1 box gluten free lasagna noodles (I use Tinkyada brand)
1 jar organic marinara (I use Newman's Own Tomato & Basil) 
Optional: fresh, chopped basil 

6 oven-safe ramekins
Aluminum foil
** Note: If you are making a full tray of lasagna ( 9X10 pan) you will have to double this recipe!

1. Make the Cheese: Soak nuts in filtered water for at least 20 minutes (2-3 hours is ideal, or even all day. You can leave them in water in the morning and use them when you get home at dinner time). Drain in a colander  Blend in food processor with lemon juice and garlic until a smooth paste forms. It will be thick, but if you desire a more spreadable mixture you may add more lemon juice/water per your taste. Set aside. 

2. Preheat oven to 450. Assemble your ingredients while oven is preheating, so they are close at hand to your ramekins. Break the lasagna noodles into squares that will fit into your ramekins. You will need 3 squares per ramekin. I used 5 noodles (They will break, but don't worry about it, just put the shards in there in a square-like shape.) 

3. Assemble Lasagnas: Put two heaping tablespoons of marinara in the bottom of each ramekin. Layer with one square lasagna noodles. Add 1-2 tablespoons nut cheese onto squares, spreading as much as you can over the noodles. Layer half the kale, half mushrooms, half onion and half eggplant on top of the cheese. Repeat.  Add one more noodle and cover with marinara. Sprinkle minced garlic on top. (There is a chance, depending upon the size of your ramekins that you will have room to do a fourth layer, just use your best judgement when deciding how many toppings per layer) 

4. Cover each ramekin with foil, pinching it tightly around edges. Bake for 45min. Remove from oven, remove foil (Carefully! There will be steam, and it will be hot!) and add chopped basil if desired. Serve al la carte or with a big salad! 

Suggested Alternative Fillings: roasted garlic, sundried tomatoes, chopped brussel sprouts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment